The 2020 Hurricane Season has started

Forecasters predict above normal hurricane season for 2020

Monday, June 1, 2020 3:48:06 PM +00:00

Today is the official start of the 2020 hurricane season in the U.S. but mother-nature got an early start with Atlantic Tropical Storms Arthur and Bertha and Pacific Tropical Depression Amanda.  The next named storm that develops will be Cristobal in the Atlantic and Boris in the Pacific.  The list of 2020 storm names for the Atlantic and Pacific are shown below.  

 

2020 Storm Names for Atlantic Ocean Strorms

Arthur (used) Bertha (used) Cristobal Dolly
Edouard Fay Gonzalo Hanna
Isaias Josephine Kyle Laura
Marco Nana Omar Paulette
Rene Sally Teddy Vicky
Wilfred      

 

2020 Storm Names for Pacific Ocean Storms

Amanda (used) Boris Cristina Douglas
Elida Fausto Genevieve Hernan
Iselle Julio Karina Lowell
Marie Norbert Odalys Polo
Rachel Simon Trudy Vance
Winnie Xavier Yolanda Zeke

 

Hurricane Forecast

Long-term averages for the number of named storms, hurricanes, and major hurricanes are 12, 6, and 3, respectively but forecasters at the NOAA's Climate Prediction Center expect 2020 to be an above-normal year.  Their outlook published May 21, 2020 predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.  According to the Climate Prediction Center, in 2020 the forecast predicts a likely range of 13 to 19 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence. An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.

What can ContactRelief do for you?

Are you ready to see how ContactRelief can shape your disaster operations strategy? Schedule your customized demo to see firsthand how ContactRelief can reduce your workload, protect your brand and improve your contact efficiency.

Buy now - save 10% Book a demo